May 13, 2022: Ukraine, Russian naval ship, War crimes, North Korea, COVID, Burkina miners, Abortion
Reuters, 13 May 2022
May 13, 2022: Ukraine forces thwart Russian armored column, Russia war crimes, North Korea COVID, Burkina miners, Abortion
1. Ukrainian forces destroyed a pontoon bridge and parts of a Russian armoured column as it tried to cross a river in the Donbas region, video released by Ukraine's military showed, and a Russian naval ship was set afire in the Black Sea.
2. A Ukrainian court held a preliminary hearing in the first war crimes trial arising from Russia’s Feb. 24 invasion, after charging a captured Russian soldier with the murder of a 62-year-old civilian.
3. At least one person confirmed to have COVID-19 has died in North Korea and hundreds of thousands have shown fever symptoms, state media said, offering hints at the potentially dire scale of country's first confirmed outbreak of the pandemic.
4. The families of eight missing miners in Burkina Faso desperately awaited news from rescue teams continuing to locate the men who have been stuck underground for 26 days.
5. In the days after a draft leaked showing the U.S. Supreme Court is poised to strike down Roe v. Wade and a national right to abortion, the left-wing group MoveOn doubled its weekly fundraising. A Michigan effort to place abortion rights on the ballot gained more than 13,000 new volunteer sign-ups.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en